There are benefits to a no contest plea. Here are just a few:
– Avoiding costly attorney fees to try a case
– Avoiding the publicity associated with a lengthy trial, especially if the defendant is famous or has standing in the community
– Taking the blame for someone else to avoid their investigation
– Expediting the court process to lesser charges if defendant is facing serious charges
– Receiving a lighter sentence from a judge on a lesser charge rather than the uncertainty of a harsher punishment that might result from standing trial and a subsequent conviction.